Friday, September 30, 2011

Buyer's Agent

I was talking recently to a young couple who are considering buying a home.  They seemed a little nervous but that is to be expected.  I love working with first time buyers, while some agents shy away from them because they can be demanding and indecisive, I love it.  First time buyers are fun to work with and I guess the Mom in me comes out.   I shared with this couple some of the great opportunities out there including the low interest rates and showed them some great property deals.  I knew they were first time buyers so I explained to them the importance of getting preapproved for a loan and gave them some contact numbers.  I also told them the escrow and home buying process. 

I was very careful to keep things simple but after we had talked for awhile I got the feeling that they were uncomfortable about something.  I asked some questions to see if I could determine what was going on.  I could not figure out what was bothering them so I finally just asked.  Come to find out they were eager to start the process of buying a home but they did not think they could afford to pay me and have the needed money for a downpayment.  They knew they needed and wanted me to assist them but they were embarrassed because they did not thing they could pay me!

You should have seen the relief on their faces when I explained to them how agent commissions are charged.  I told them that when a home go on the market the seller agrees to pay the commission  to the agents, both the buyer's agent and the sellers agent.  They were so happy when they realized they did not have to pay me upfront for my services.  They are now working on getting their preapproval and starting the process of buying a home in El Cajon.  I am so excited to be working with them. I can't wait to help them find their new home, help them through the process and the best part...hand over the keys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great advise from a great agent!!

AddThis

Bookmark and Share