Monday, January 23, 2012

I Want To Buy A Home - Where Do I Start?

So you have been listening to the news and have heard all about the affordability of homes and the incredibly low interest rates.  You are thinking that the housing market is beginning to recover and you are beginning to realize there may not be a better time to buy a home than now.  If you are like 85 - 90 percent of home buyers, you have even started to search for and look at properties on the Internet.  You have used a mortgage calculator and you like the payments you are being shown and see that buying a home is a good financial move.  Now you are wondering how to start the process of actually finding and purchasing a home.

This is a scary point for many.  The idea of buying a home can be scary in and of itself.  The idea of the paperwork and process of buying a home can be downright terrifying.  You are not alone.  Many feel overwhelmed at this point.  Just remember, tons of people buy homes everyday and you can too!  Luckily for you there are professionals here to assist you through the entire process.

To start contact a real estate agent, (preferably Me!), to discuss what you are looking for in a home.  I will want to know what areas you are considering, how many bedrooms, bathrooms, approximate square footage and lot size, etc that you would like.  I also want to find out other specifics that appeal to you.  This will assist me in better understanding what you are looking for and help me tailor a search for you.  I will set up an automatic search that will email you as soon as new properties that meet your criteria come on the market.  Let's face it, the good ones go quickly!  This does not cost you anything!  You do not pay me out of your pocket.  See, when a homeowner decides to sell their home they will contact an agent (preferably me!) and "list" the home for sale.  At that time a contract is done and the seller agrees to pay a commission.  Typically half of the commission goes to the list agent and the other half goes to the buyer's agent (Me, your agent!) You do not pay me.

The second thing you need to do after calling me is to contact a lender.  I have a list of some I have worked with in the past, to help get you started.  You need to contact a lender and get prequalified.  The lender will take your information and run your credit.  They will then show you some different loan possibilities and tell you how much you qualify for.  This is imperative.  You need to know how much you can comfortably afford before you go out shopping for a home.  There is nothing worse than falling in love with a house that you can not afford.  Also, home sellers will not consider an offer without a pre-qualification from a lender.  They want to know you can afford the home.  You need to get this done before you start shopping otherwise you run the risk of finding you dream home and not being able to put an offer in on it and someone else getting the home.

Once we have the search parameters set and you have your pre-qualification letter then the fun begins.  You look at the listings I send you.  When you see one that interests you, you let me.  I will find out more information about the property and I schedule a time for you to see it.  We look at properties until we find one that you want to put an offer on.  See, not so hard, with my help you can do it.  I will answer all your questions and help you through the entire process of writing an offer and going through escrow.  You are not alone.  So, what are you waiting for?  Give me a call to get started!

No comments:

AddThis

Bookmark and Share